Canadian Premium Van Lines suggests that you plan in advance of your moving day and prepare well in advance to alleviate the stress that can happen before the big day.
Below you will find some tips offering professional and practical tips to help prepare you for your move.
- We always recommend that you plan to move before your “closing day” to avoid any last-minute delays on the closing day.
- Try to stay away from end of the month moving days as those tend to be the busiest for movers. If you must move at the end of the month, try and reserve your move well in advance.
- Go through all of your house and decide what you are keeping and what needs to go. If you are doing your own packing, arrange to get started in advance.
- Ensure that your packing materials are purchased in advance, as packing is much harder than what most people anticipate.
- Ensure that you use up items from your freezer and from your pantry/storage. Try to empty these at least 24-48 hours prior to moving.
- Dresser drawers must be completely empty prior to moving day. Empty all your drawers from all furniture pieces to ensure safe transport of these items.
- Moving crew can not remove items affixed to the walls and ceiling so remove these in advance and prior to the crew’s arrival to your home for pick up.
- Start by packing items that are out of season
- Make sure that the size of box corresponds to the items being packed
- We suggest using packing paper and bubble wrap to protect fragile items inside boxes
- Label boxes based on desired rooms and to help your organization once unpacking
- Pack items that you wont need before moving day
- Tape boxes well
- Try to pack one room at a time before moving to the next one
- Do not pack items of high value or items that you will need during your move
- Do not pack jewellery, money or any important documents
- Do not exceed 40 lbs of weight per each packed box
- Any items that are being dismantled and have smaller pieces such as screws – place them in smaller bags and tape each bag to the article to ensure that they are available once assembly takes place.
Remember that proper packing is critical to the safe arrival of your goods.
BEFORE MOVING DAY
- Prepare for your trip. Make sure that you have important paperwork, keys, medication and documents with you for your trip.
- Arrange to discontinue utilities, cable, internet and all automatic payments.
- Finish packing all essential items and plan to carry your documents and valuables with you.
- Upon the arrival of the moving/packing crew provide them with a clear workspace.
- Point out items that the crew is packing/moving and what items must remain at the house.
- Point items that require special care and need special packing
- Plan to be present and on site if possible. If not possible arrange to have someone on site that is familiar with the shipment and can make decisions on your behalf.
- Tour the house with the crew and the team leader.
- You will be asked to sign the bill of lading
- Confirm details on the bill of lading such as your contact information and the delivery address if applicable.
- Receive a copy of a detailed inventory list from the team lead/driver
- Plan to arrive to your new home ahead of your crew’s arrival
- Use the inventory list provided to you at origin to check off items that are being delivered
- Pre-pay for your move in advance or ensure that payment is with you to avoid any delays on delivery date
Simple Steps Before Moving Day
- Prepare a moving plan
- Budget for your move
- Prepare an inventory list of your moving inventory
- Pack as much as you can before the big day and don’t leave everything for last minute
- Pack your travel bag with most essential and valuable items that won’t make it onto the truck